Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> writes:

> If you have to manually blow away a particular pyc file,
> folder-per-folder makes it much easier to find exactly what you want
> to blow away without have to search up the file system, and then back
> down again to find the pyc file to delete. How many ..'s does it take
> until you're lost in the twisty maze of ls?

I don't think keeping the cache files in a mass of intertwingled extra
subdirectories is the way to solve that problem. That speaks, rather, to
the need for Python to be able to find the file on behalf of the user
and blow it away on request, so the user doesn't need to go searching.

Possible interface (with spelling of options chosen hastily)::

    $ python foo.py    # Use cached byte code if available.
    $ python --force-compile foo.py    # Unconditionally compile.

If removing the byte code file, without running the module, is what's
desired::

    $ python --delete-cache foo.py     # Delete cached byte code.
    $ rm $(python --show-cache-file foo.py)  # Same as above.

That should cover just about any common need for the user to know
exactly which byte code file corresponds to a given source file. That,
in turn, frees us to choose a less obtrusive location for the byte code
files than mingled in with the source.

--
 \     “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, but |
  `\          where will we find an open tattoo parlor at this time of |