On 12/13/2012 4:07 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
On 12/13/2012 1:06 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
All in all I would say I would prefer to install this per Python.

Then explicit update requires multiple downloads or copying. This is a
violation of DRY. If if is not too large, it would not hurt to never delete
it.

Yes, but this is no different that if you want to keep any library
updated over multiple Python versions.

How I do that for my multi-version packages is to put them in a separate 'python' directory and put python.pth with the path to that directory in the various site-packages directories. Any change to the *one* copy is available to all versions and all will operate the same if the code is truly multi-version. When I installed 3.3, I copied python.pth into its site-packages and was ready to go.

> And I don't want to invent another installation procedure
> that works for just this,

An email or so ago, you said that the tz database should go in C:\programdata (which currently does not exist on my machine either). That would be a new, invented installation procedure.

> or have a  little script that checks periodically
> for updates only for this,
adding to the plethora of update checkers on windows already.

I *never* suggested this. In fact, I said that installing an updated database (available to all Python versions) with each release would be sufficient for nearly everyone on Windows.

either keep your Python and it's libraries updated or you do not, I
don't think this is any different,and I think it should have the
exact same mechanisms and functions as all other third-party PyPI
packages.

When I suggested that users be able to put the database where they want, *just like with any other third-party package PyPI package*, you are the one who said no, this should be special cased.

The situation is this: most *nixes have or can have one system tz database. Python code that uses it will give the same answer regardless of the Python version. Windows apparently does not have such a thing. So we can a) not use the tz database in the stdlib because it would not work on Windows (the defacto current situation);
b) use it but let the functions fail on Windows;
c) install a different version of the database with each Python installation, that can only be used by that installation, so that results may depend on the Python version. (This seem to be what you are now proposing, and if bugfix releases update the data only for that version, could result in earlier versions giving more accurate answers.); d) install one database at a time so all Python versions give the same answer, just as on *nix.

--
Terry Jan Reedy