On 11/23/2014 3:18 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
Patches getting held up in the review queue for weeks or months is a *huge* barrier to contribution, as it prevents the formation of the positive feedback cycle where having a contribution accepted feels good, so folks are more likely to want to contribute again.
Exactly. None of the patches I care about have gone anywhere for years. Two of them were done by others, apparently using the right processes, and still went nowhere, so it doesn't encourage me to attempt to even learn the process to make a more appropriate contribution of mine (which, sadly, I fixed too many different bugs in one file or two files, and have not split them into individual patches). Another has recently been making some progress... I guess that means I don't care enough about them, to fight to force them through the system, it is easier just to apply the patches to my installation... but that is a sad state of affairs.