On Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:43:11 AM UTC+5:30, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> Does Python have good mathematical capabilities? I am interested in
>
> learning a second language for mathematical purposes. I am considering
>
> looking at python, perl, fortran, Adas out. It looked too complicated to
>
> learn. Perl looked easy and I haven't really looked into python.

What does the word 'mathematical' connote for you?
On the whole the term is so wide that its hard to answer without some
more context.

For example there's numpy,scipy for numerical and scientific* computing,
there's sage, ipython etc.

Today many people who want a general purpose programming language with
a mathematical flair, choose Haskell

For statistics R is quite unbeatable (I am told), which is not python
or any of the others you mention.

Then there are specialized theorem proving systems.

Another question you should answer is "Whats the first programming
language you know?"