"Steven D'Aprano" <steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote in message
news:53783c5f$0$29977$c3e8da3

> You say you want to learn a *second* language, but you don't say what
> your first language is. Nor do you say what sort of mathematics you wish
> to do, or at what level. Depending on what you want to do, you might be
> best off with Mathematica, if you can afford it. Otherwise, there's an
> Open Source and free alternative, Sage, which uses Python.

    I have spent a lot of time with C. But it's hard for me to learn and
there are various factors there. That sage looked good. But as a language
for *nixs and their respective APIs sockets, sys calls and such there's C.
Fortran might still be a choice. Perl looks really easy. But I haven't
gotten into any of these because I'm still halding out for one that appeals
to me.

Bill