In article <53783c5f$0$29977$c3e8da3$54964...@news.astraweb.com>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.pyt...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> You may find that the IPython interactive interface to Python is useful.
> It presents an interface which should be familiar to anyone with
> experience with Mathematica.

I second the IPython suggestion.  I don't use it that often, but when
I'm doing interactive number crunching, it's my tool of choice.  The
ability to interactively go back and edit some block of code, then
re-execute it, is really handy when exploring a dataset.  And the tight
integration of graphing/plotting libraries is awesome.

I tend to use it in the mode where I'm running the compute kernel on a
remote machine (typically a big machine in a data center somewhere) and
the display portion in a browser on my desktop.