On 3/28/2023 1:50 PM, a a wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 March 2023 at 18:12:40 UTC+2, Thomas Passin wrote:
On 3/28/2023 8:47 AM, a a wrote:
Ok, I can export bookmarks to html file and open it in Firefox to get
a long list of clickable urls but icon of the bookmarked web page is missing.

When I open Bookmarks as right a side-bar I can view and identify an individual
Boomarks by icon,
so I would like Firefox Library to export Bookmarks to html file, icons
included 😉

Since accessing opened Tabs is my default use of history in Firefox and has
worked fine for years
I paid no special interest to bookmark opened Tabs and assign labels to
individual bookmark.

So, generally speaking, I am happy with 1,000+ opened Tabs in Firefox , not
being sure if this number is for real or refers to every bookmark from the
history + opened Tabs

But definitely I need a smarter solution and approach to manage 10,000+ opened
Tabs in Firefox in a future 😉

I think you had better start using another name for this thread, if it
continues.

The HTML export file will contain the icons, but the HTML elements do
not provide for showing them.

I can't imagine how you can find anything among nor navigate through
1000 open tabs, let alone 10,000 in the future. I would think the memory
usage would be impossibly high. So I hope you are mostly using the
history and do not really have that many tabs open at once!

I am a plain guy, so if Firefox counted 1,000+ opened Tabs, I can be surprised,
but have no idea how to check that number.

You are exactly right, icon URI and icon data come with saved opened Tabs,
a single example below.

So I am going to ask Firefox team to offer
export to html, modified to have :
icon, name of web page, url address
to appear in a single row (feature already supported by Firefox, when you open
new Tab
and click: enter URL or search string - input field,
you get such list
List is limited in size for the reasons unknown to me, but feature works fine.

You should be aware that the HTML format for bookmarks is a standard developed back in the day by Netscape. It goes back to the early 1990s, I think. The FF folks will not be modifying it, since all browsers know how to generate it and consume it, and who knows how many software packages consume it. No one can afford to have a change, even one that's supposed to be harmless, inadvertently break software that's worked for years.

They are going to need a lot of persuading.

Maybe there's something else they would be willing and able to do. But you can expect that any proposed new feature will probably need to have some strong support. Raymond Chen at Microsoft has written how each new feature proposal starts off with -100 points. Only if the advantages get the score up above zero can the feature have any chance of getting adopted - and then it has to compete with other potential features that have their own scores.

--
So would prefer a horizontal list of opened Tabs
by htmlized, vertical list of the same opened Tabs,

Thank you for your excellent support

You're welcome.