Hi,
+1 for renaming current snapping behaviour to "Layer Units" AND adding a global snapping-unit option, _perhaps_ as default option.

You very often want to snap in linear units regardless of layer CRS, so a possibility for doing that globally would be good.

Maybe if this option is chosen, it calls a subroutine to convert this linear unit into "Layer Units" and populates the "Snapping and Digitising Option" table for the user, in the layer units.

Regards,
Zoltan