I have Ubuntu 16.04.1 and QGIS 2.8.6 .
Help > Check Version > says there is v2.16.2 ,
but the instructions at http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu
for how to do it are totally baffling.

I've never had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list before,
and I don't like the look of the example:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu xenial main
I don't want an unstable package!,
I've never had to remove a package before installing a more recent version,
do you expect me to remove a working package and replace with one from an unstable repository?

Normally I would expect to add-apt-repository and update.
When I do that I get lots of ign: lines then
Reading package lists... Done
W: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file. N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
$

- http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu/dists/ doesn't have a /xenial/ folder

Obviously I need some help here, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

Dave