I don't think it's necessarily ignorance - the word unstable means "no stable; not firm or firmly fixed; unsteady" [1]. At my old place of employment software that was in any way related to the work "unstable" would never get installed or tested.

UbuntuGIS-unstable isn't unstable. BUT - it has that word associated with it. It is confusing for users. If we told the windows users to grab their installation files from a directory labeled *unstable* there would be much unhappiness.

[1] http://www.dictionary.com/browse/unstable

On 09/13/2016 10:51 AM, Blumentrath, Stefan wrote:

And if I may add:

Even if the users are aware of the fact that ubuntugis-unstable contains the current releases, it can be hard to impossible to convince a GIS-ignorant system administrator that it is OK to install “unstable” packages.

But this issue is not a QGIS issue I guess...

*From:*Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] *On Behalf Of *Randal Hale
*Sent:* 13. september 2016 16:45
*To:* qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
*Subject:* Re: [Qgis-user] Ubuntu updating instructions

On 09/13/2016 10:23 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

    Hi Randal,

    On Tue, 13. Sep 2016 at 00:21:21 -0400, Randal Hale wrote:

        It's a little bit confusing. There are like three repositories:

        stable, unstable, and testing. Testing you don't want (unless you

        want to test packages). Typically stable is a bit older. Unstable is

        current. Which doesn't really make sense - but that's the way it is.

    Not like it matters much in this case.

    We have packages in qgis.org/debian/ against the plain versions of the

    distributions (debian and **ubuntu**) and in qgis/ubuntugis/ packages
against

    newer dependencies from - and only from - ubuntugis-unstable.

    Looks like it's hard for people to accept that there are also ubuntu
packages

    in a directory called debian and that probably makes them jump on the other

    because it has ubuntu in it's name.

I was thinking about it last night (and I was up way to late) and it is a bit confusing for the casual user. They've installed Ubuntu (or mint/debian/xubuntu/etc) and they may not understand ubuntu is based off debian. So like you said - they see debian but want to use Ubuntu. They go to UbuntuGIS and they see the repositories for UbuntuGIS and the choice is unstable (and no one likes unstable software) and stable (which doesn't contain the newest software). So you end up going "Use Unstable because it's stable and current".

        Under my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory I made a qgis.list file

        and put the following in there:

        debhttp://qgis.org/debian  xenial main

        debhttp://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu  xenial
main

    Why?  That are the packages not based on ubuntugis with the dependencies
from

    ubuntugis.

Do I have this wrong? I thought I had the repositories for the install correct based off the directions on qgis.org. Which I could completely have it wrong. With the above repos I'm getting QGIS 2.16.x and GDAL 2.1.x.

    Jürgen

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc
http://www.northrivergeographic.com