On 09/13/2016 10:23 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
Hi Randal,

On Tue, 13. Sep 2016 at 00:21:21 -0400, Randal Hale wrote:
It's a little bit confusing. There are like three repositories:
stable, unstable, and testing. Testing you don't want (unless you
want to test packages). Typically stable is a bit older. Unstable is
current. Which doesn't really make sense - but that's the way it is.
Not like it matters much in this case.

We have packages in qgis.org/debian/ against the plain versions of the
distributions (debian and **ubuntu**) and in qgis/ubuntugis/ packages against
newer dependencies from - and only from - ubuntugis-unstable.

Looks like it's hard for people to accept that there are also ubuntu packages
in a directory called debian and that probably makes them jump on the other
because it has ubuntu in it's name.
I was thinking about it last night (and I was up way to late) and it is a bit confusing for the casual user. They've installed Ubuntu (or mint/debian/xubuntu/etc) and they may not understand ubuntu is based off debian. So like you said - they see debian but want to use Ubuntu. They go to UbuntuGIS and they see the repositories for UbuntuGIS and the choice is unstable (and no one likes unstable software) and stable (which doesn't contain the newest software). So you end up going "Use Unstable because it's stable and current".

Under my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory I made a qgis.list file
and put the following in there:

deb http://qgis.org/debian xenial main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu xenial main
Why?  That are the packages not based on ubuntugis with the dependencies from
ubuntugis.
Do I have this wrong? I thought I had the repositories for the install correct based off the directions on qgis.org. Which I could completely have it wrong. With the above repos I'm getting QGIS 2.16.x and GDAL 2.1.x.

Jürgen