Hey Dave!

It's a little bit confusing. There are like three repositories: stable, unstable, and testing. Testing you don't want (unless you want to test packages). Typically stable is a bit older. Unstable is current. Which doesn't really make sense - but that's the way it is.

Under my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory I made a qgis.list file and put the following in there:

deb http://qgis.org/debian xenial main
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu xenial main

That gets QGIS 2.16.2 and GDAL 2.x.

It would "sound" nicer if it was testing stable and "fresh" (which is how libreoffice does it) - but unstable is actually quite stable for 16.04.

Randy