2 things:

1. In QGIS there is a processing toolbox (I assume you are one something as new as version 2.14.8). Open it (it's at the top -> Processing -> Toolbox). You can search for tools. Search for "join" and you should see a "Join Attributes by location". This is a spatial join.

2. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. You mentioned you had collected points with a GPS. Possibly these points are in EPSG:4326. I'm going to guess that your parcel layer isn't. If you right click your parcel layer (in the layers panel) it will allow you to select properties. On the General Tab you will see the Coordinate Reference System mentioned and many times it is something like EPSG:xxxx . A Spatial Join must have the layers in the same coordinate system.

If it is different - Right Click on your GPS points and "Save as". When the "Save vector layer as...." window comes up. Save it as a shapefile and MOST IMPORTANTLY change the CRS to match your parcel layer. Click on the small globe (that appears to be wearing a hat) and in the filter type in the number you see for your parcels. You can then select that projection and Save your file. It should save. You can then perform the "join by location".

It should work. You are very close though so don't worry.

Randy