Regarding the default values option/limitations, I can add that if you try
to use the default values expression dialog to build an expression using
geomintersects() the dialog will evaluate the expression as invalid.
Instead, build the expression in the field calculator and then copy/paste
it into default value box and skip using the expression dialog.

Andrew