> Pennies really... The 64Mb ones no longer show of the system, as they are
>> not "obsolete" although I know we have at least 100 of them in stock.
>>I was leading up to a suggestion for making a proposal to Quanta to apply
>>for funding to create "A QL On A Stick" for ex-QLers and retro enthusiasts
>>to try to widen QL usage, but I forgot to add that part in the original
>>email as I got a bit disturbed by an irate customer.

Lovely!

Just had a chat with the Manager who looks after Disgo - he doesn't know
what show of the low-end stuff is left since the Dixons/Spectrum Emulator
deal was done, so he'll get back to me. He also mentioned that if we ordered
over 100 units, he could get then branded with any logo we want on them, so
either the QUANTA logo of SINCLAIR QL in the infamous Sinclair font maybe?
Nice thing to own for nostalgias sake..

I think it's a great idea, but may be worth shopping about anyway; Roy? Do
you do USB drives?

> I have a 2GB one now, and have my life on it. Absolutely indispensable
piece
> of kit. I have several episodes of Star trek,
>Hmmm, Star Trek rates higher than a QL in your life? ;-)

When you have a mental 2 year old running amok, your spare time is best
served in front of the TV (or laptop).... :-))

> There is a QLDEMO thingy in the quanta library, though it probably needs
> updated... Esp. for high colour.
>Err, to be honest, I'd rather leave GD2 out of this, especially if using
>QLay 2 or another emulator not supporting high colour. In the spirit of
>this, the people it's meant to appeal to are retro and nostalgia people, so
>closeness to an original QL might be th eorder of the day.

Then the QLDEMO is probably perfect, didn't you have it on your website? The
one that shipped with the QL originally?

> >4. Put a sweet and simple front end, which could even be a SuperBASIC
> >program, to let the user select which game or program to run, preferably
> >with a short screen of information before the program starts, especially
if
> >it's a program which does not return you cleanly to the menu.
>
> Yes, easy to program and easy to use. I was going to do this for the QL
DVD
> idea anyway.
>IIRC, Ron Dunnett used to have something similar on his Qubbesoft PD
>Library disks. And Ian Bruntlett many years ago produced something to make
>disk front ends (the name B0Peep springs to mind, not sure if it was that
>or something else).

Yes - Ron's was very well laid out. He had a system of only putting 10
programs on each disk, regardless of how much spare space was left. The 10
program names were displayed and could be highlighted and run - was nicely
laid out on the screen too and a doddle to use.

> >I've convinced myself, where can I buy one Darren? ;-)
>
> Well, maybe Roy Wood can get alternate ones cheaper from Hamiltone, might
be
> worth checking.
>I was part joking, as I have 64MB and 128MB units already, but there was a
>serious side to my comment to try to convey the fact that I'd already
>convinced myself this was a good idea if someone could be persuaded to put
>together an emulator+free software+front end+instructions package.

I know:-)) Put still it's a good idea and worth looking at by several of
us... I know Steve Reyal and I saw some 8Mb Disgos at a Computer Show in
Tottenham Court Road in London about 2 years or so ago for only £1 each, but
didn't think of the QL usability!! Pity, the guy had a box full, probably
could've had them all for 20 quid.

> Well, I can get concrete pricing if you want it, The more we order the
> cheaper they will get - Doubt I can buy quantity at cost, maybe this is a
> worthwhile spend for some QUANTA funds? Or would this be deemed pushing it
> as it isn't QL native hardware...??
>>It's directly QL related, a fairly low cost approach to trying to widen QL
>>usage. Let's see what other people think.

I think so... we'll see.

Anyone from QUANTA care to comment??

Darren.