> >What sort of prices are we talking of in small quantities for the 32MB and
> >64MB models?
>
> Pennies really... The 64Mb ones no longer show of the system, as they are
> not "obsolete" although I know we have at least 100 of them in stock.
I was leading up to a suggestion for making a proposal to Quanta to apply for
funding to create "A QL On A Stick" for ex-QLers and retro enthusiasts to try
to widen QL usage, but I forgot to add that part in the original email as I got
a bit disturbed by an irate customer.

> I have a 2GB one now, and have my life on it. Absolutely indispensable piece
> of kit. I have several episodes of Star trek,
Hmmm, Star Trek rates higher than a QL in your life? ;-)

> Better still in the docking station we do. A lovely little weighted desktop
> USB slot which has a long cable leading around to your PC, - very handy for
> making those hard to get at USB ports more accessible - if like me you don't
> have USB ports on the front of your machine. See the website.
I had that problem and found that buying a little 4 port hub with a cable was
actually easier and cheaper from people like EBuyer than trying to buy a simple
extension cable!

> There is a QLDEMO thingy in the quanta library, though it probably needs
> updated... Esp. for high colour.
Err, to be honest, I'd rather leave GD2 out of this, especially if using QLay 2
or another emulator not supporting high colour. In the spirit of this, the
people it's meant to appeal to are retro and nostalgia people, so closeness to
an original QL might be th eorder of the day.

> >4. Put a sweet and simple front end, which could even be a SuperBASIC
> >program, to let the user select which game or program to run, preferably
> >with a short screen of information before the program starts, especially if
> >it's a program which does not return you cleanly to the menu.
>
> Yes, easy to program and easy to use. I was going to do this for the QL DVD
> idea anyway.
IIRC, Ron Dunnett used to have something similar on his Qubbesoft PD Library
disks. And Ian Bruntlett many years ago produced something to make disk front
ends (the name B0Peep springs to mind, not sure if it was that or something
else).

> >I've convinced myself, where can I buy one Darren? ;-)
>
> Well, maybe Roy Wood can get alternate ones cheaper from Hamiltone, might be
> worth checking.
I was part joking, as I have 64MB and 128MB units already, but there was a
serious side to my comment to try to convey the fact that I'd already convinced
myself this was a good idea if someone could be persuaded to put together an
emulator+free software+front end+instructions package.

> them too. The other
> thing to ask is were have all the 8Mb and 16Mb ones gone? Are they still in
> use, or Are they in desk drawers or skips somewhere? Perfectly usable for
> QLers....
Might be worth an Ebay or similar search for redundant equipment. 16MB is
probably the absolute minimum even for a QL emulator though.

> Well, I can get concrete pricing if you want it, The more we order the
> cheaper they will get - Doubt I can buy quantity at cost, maybe this is a
> worthwhile spend for some QUANTA funds? Or would this be deemed pushing it
> as it isn't QL native hardware...??
It's directly QL related, a fairly low cost approach to trying to widen QL
usage. Let's see what other people think.