> (This might be a duplicate email, if so apologies, but I don't think the
> original got through)
Sorry, the webmail timed out while I was on the phone, that's why the first
never got through.

> Darren Branagh wrote:
> > BTW, a novel idea in my new employers is coming to fruition - we own and
> > sell the disgo brand under the guise of clever stuff ltd. (see
> > www.mydisgo.com) - it's the pioneer of the USB thumbdrive market.

> I've been asked several times to make a little CD or similar with a free QL
> emulator on board and some games and general packages controlled by a simple
> front end (a plug and go QL complete with software). 32MB or 64MBwould carry
> an emulator and plenty of software with ease. People like Norman Dunbar and
> Ken Bain have already described in detail how convenient these flash memory
> devices are.

I forgot to mention: at Quanta's AGM on Sunday John Mason reminded us that the
committee were still open to suggestions on how the money int he bank could be
used for the good of the membership and QLing in general. Just an idea, Darren,
if someone could come up with a mini business plan for this and present it as
an Idea to Quanta, is it the sort of project they might be willing to consider?

I'd suggest presenting any such request or proposal as something to benefit the
QL and the membership by seeking to try to encourage wider use of the QL via a
new idea which also hopes to attract ex-QLers back to the fold. The idea would
hope to appeal to nostalgia and Retro users and those who liked SuperBASIC but
it wasn't enough to make them hold onto a QL in the past - "A QL On A Stick"
would be a ready to go QL with on board software at minimal cost and no desk
space required (just a USB port and modern enough PC - at a guess I'd say the
vast majority of ex-QLers would be Windows users, though if Linux users are
able to use these devices, a copy of uQLx with the same QL software would
appeal there too).

So you'd have two versions:

1. QLay or any other free Windows emulator plus a collection of free QL
software and a copy of the manual.

2. Ditto, but with a copy of uQLx in place of the QLay 2 (or whatever).

As your subject line said..."just an idea"

            • ... SMSQ - Jochen Merz
            • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
              • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
              • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
              • ... Wolfgang Uhlig
              • ... Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones
  • ... Dilwyn Jones