Apologies if this is duplication Roy, the Tesco Webmail beastie timed out on me
while I was trying to send the first copy and I don't think it got through.

> >I've been given so much advice that my head is spinning. In one email I
> >was advised to by QPAC2, but was then told that its the same as the
> >pointer environment I already have. But I thought that it comes bundled
> >with SMSQ/E, so if I were to buy that I wouldn't need QPAC2 as well,
> >surely?
> Ok some of the advice was maybe not quite worded concisely. The Pointer
> Environment is the three files PTR_GEN, WMAN, and HOT_REXT. These form
> the basis of the extended system and are, as you said, bundled into
> SMSQ/E in an extended form. QPC2 is a collection of system handling
> routines including file management and job management. The Pointer
> environment files are now freely distributable and are backwardly
> compatible.
Roy, I don't think this type of query can be answered too often. Could you
perhaps do something for your beginners series along these lines:

1. QPAC2 is not the same as pointer environment.
2. QPAC2 is not a new version of QPAC1. They are both completely different
products.
3. Pointer Environment is bundled as part of the QPAC1 and QPAC2 packages.
4. PE is basically ptr_gen. Extended Environment is all three (ptr_gen, wman +
hot_rext). The equivalent is built into SMSQ/E (but not QXL SMSQ).
5. Although QPAC2 is desceneded from QRAM, QRAM is now probably so out of date
that only older software fromt he 1980s (QRAM's era) would run on QRAM's
version of PE).
6. What PE actually does (extended console driver, on screen pointer, save and
restore windows etc) as distinct from what QPAC2 does (menus, things, buttons
etc).

You can probably write that up much clearly than I did. And this is something I
could probably add to the little list of short articles I keep promising to
write for Quanta).

Dilwyn Jones