On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Geoff Wicks <gtwi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> [...]

I knew when I started designing the survey that it would answer *my*
questions and be important to me. I thought the answers would be interesting
to the community as a whole, but I never expected there to be strong
feelings or any controversy. There was a little of that - people on both
sides of issues that I didn't even realise were issues ;)

I knew when I wrote it that I would do a follow-up survey to dig deeper into
the answers I got in some areas, and also to listen to feedback about missed
opportunities. I've got a lot of feedback, and in a week, I'll start working
with many people to make the next survey far more detailed yet concise.

I will create the template for the survey at that point and send it to
Quanta and Rich, so the link and survey date range can be set up to coincide
with the most people being able to see it. I'll probably create a shortened
"bit.ly" address or similar to make it easier to type from the printed page,
and even include a QR code.

I think the next survey will be completed by twice as many people so I may
repeat a couple of the basic questions for demographic purposes (so I can
relate general groups of users from that survey with groups from this
survey, eg: by OS and h/w or s/w platform.

I just wanted to add that I have been blown away by the detail and honesty
of peoples' responses. I expected 25 results, and right now I have 72, which
is a meaningful result for me :)

Thanks everyone!

I am heading to Houston for a few days, and will be back on Saturday or
Sunday. I might be a bit quieter on list if it's busy.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Dave