Bob Spelten wrote:
> This probably means that somewhere in RAM an unpacked version is held and
> copied to the screen.
> Is there any way to peek the location of this from SBasic?

Nope.

>>  - For solid sprites, the mask can be omitted entirely
> Your PNGCVT program can also make sprites with Bitmasks.
> When I examined the sprite headers I found no difference between them.
> For Bitmask or Solid mask, both mask pointers were zero.

Are your sure? That would be a bug that hasn't been found for 8
years... plus I'm pretty sure that did work correctly once.

>>  - Sprites can be as huge as the screen (this change and the last one
>>    in effect makes sprites usable as a sort of QL graphics format.
> When using this to display photographs, the size gain in using RLE is
> often minimal. :(

Right. In some cases RLE is even bigger, which is the reason my
converter might not do RLE on some pictures even if you tell it to. I
did briefly consider implementing PNG support, but that's a lot of
code to do in assembler and it would probably be quite slow on native
systems.

>>    The big advantage is that GD2 handles the colour mode conversions
>>    automatically)
> Can I assume then that my mode 32 sprites will look alright on a mode 33
> system?

Yes.

>>  - introduced "system sprites" (corresponding to the "system palette"
>>    users can exchange the sprites with their own and all compatible
>>    applications will use the new theme)
> You provided some nice examples for this but how can I turn my own sprites
> into "system sprites" from SBasic?

SBasic? Probably not. But you can pretty much use my assembler source
code unchanged (just exchange the _spr files and recompile). Of
course, QMac is needed for this, though I guess it could be adapted to
GWASS easily if it supports an equivalent to the INCBIN command.

> So far I have not been able to get a QDOS machine working with WM2.
> Even a simple boot with just the PE and Qpac2 will, after a few clicks
> makes a mess of the button contents, not clean up a closed Files window
> and eventually freeze the system. :'(

JS ROM is needed at least. Works fine for me under QemuLator and
Minerva, though background I/O seems to be partially broken.

Cheers, Marcel