Yes - small packet.
However the price difference in Europe is not high.

Small packet is anything up to 2kg. No steps. Costs 8,20 EUR ...
not an optional at all.

I reckon though the main reason must be writers, and production time/cost.

And the always decreasing number of readers - time was unpaid, anyway.

I suspect most readers would be prepared to pay extra postage.

No, adding 8 or 10 EUR will be an increase we never had before ... and
we lost many readers when there were smaller increases.

Also, direct debit will have to be re-done for German readers
"thanks" to new EU rules - they will have to send a signed "mandate" back - which will lead to losses in readership again.

Anyway, let's see if something new comes out of all this - maybe it's
a chance.

Jochen