Norman Dunbar via Ql-Users wrote:
> I get that it's a software description of some hardware.

Not software. It is simply a hardware description, and the result is
pure hardware, i.e. flipflops, gates, wires. You can as well describe he
same hardware in a schematic rather than text.

It is important to understand that no emulation is involved and there is
no difference to other logic chips, except that an FPGA can be
re-configured. Like GALs, just more complex.

>From the same hardware description, is is also possible to manufacture
customized chips, called ASICs, which have a fixed logic.