Marcel Kilgus writes:

> > up our own file system's much-lamented inadequacy. The windowing
> > facility is not one I'll use much (it also crashes on my machine
> > when changing between windowed and full-screen).
>
> Hmm, that's not really supposed to happen. What graphics card do you
> use? Latest drivers? Complete crash or just QPC? Under W2k you say?

I somehow didnt think you had carefully sat down to plan how to crash the
machine by pressing ctrl+f12 ;) It happens (to me) when starting up in
non-windowed mode and then changing over. The other way round it works ok.
Ive got some  S3 Savage 4 device (Diamond Stealth III?), with 16Mb, latest
(working) drivers/bios. On one occasion I've crashed the "uncrashable" W2k,
but "normally" only QPC just vanishes.

> > Not all things changed for the better, though: I cant seem to
> > multitask properly with Windoze (W2k) anymore.
>
> This means what?

When Windoze is running, QPC just about stops whatever it is doing. With QPC
in the background, my Windoze pointer behaves strangely (sluggish,
disappears intermittently,..) in some programs. Changing the fore- and
background settings in the startup menu does not produce any detectable
effect.

> > It also crashes more easily, like "JMON 0" crashes straight out back
> > into Windoze.
>
> Couldn't say so. Works just fine.

On W2k? Lucky you  ;(  - What could it possibly be?

<>
> Nobody reported anything like this (but then you didn't report,
> either... ;-)

Just did ;)

<>
> It's true, speed of some things need improvements, but the Q40
> shouldn't be much faster in this respect.

I wasnt complaining about the speed of QPC - I think it fabulous! It is also
fast enough on suitable h/w to do SMSQ/E proper justice. What I'm saying is
that on a hardware QL, short of a Q40, it cant be much fun.

> > For day-to-day use 16 or 256 colours would have been sufficient.
>
> The catch might be that it is more difficult to implement...

I wouldnt know about that. My point is that GD2 may well lead to a further
split in the user base due to the fact that this latest QL OS will no longer
run on the majority of QLs. M$ can do it, of course, because then everyone
just has to rush out and but new hardware - in our case, when it comes to
upgrade time, a lot of users may well opt for a different system altogether.

> > All in all, QPC2v2 + SMSQ/E really rock! (Might be worth buying a PC
just to
> > run a copy ;)
>
> :-)

Didnt meant to start a brawl. My comment was intended as an outrageous
compliment to QPC, rather than as a serious recommendation ;)

Per