??? 25/10/2002 9:34:47 ??, ?/? [EMAIL PROTECTED] ??????:

>>Speaking of Sbasic... Wouldn't it be nice to avoid 'word clashes' by
>>following some kind of convention?
>
>Interesting. I've been thinking about the same thing recently.  And not just confined
>to clashing toolkits.  By extending
SBASIC in an uncontrolled manner you run the risk of older programs not being able to
run properly because the names of
procedures and functions they define happen to use clashing names.
>Ironically, the design concept of SBASIC to allow this extensibility could well
>become its biggest weakness for distributable
3rd party software utilities. Not a problem when you only run your own code because
you are in complete control.
>Apart from appointing a registrar to allocate name prefixes (but then, how would you
>police their use?) I can only think of
radical solutions to the problem, which would involve fundamental changes to the
concept of SMSQ/E and SBASIC.

>Ian

A mechanism could be devised to rename same name extensions when a conflict exists....

Phoebus

              • ... Wolfgang Lenerz
              • ... Dave P
              • ... dndsystems1