>This is probably a case of Famous Last Words, but:
>
>How hard can it be to set up a web-based pop3 client?

There are cgi web mail clients that set up in about 15 mins. People are
big on Mailman, but I prefer Dmailweb.

>Given that all I want is to give my existing users access to their mail
>through the web.  Look at Web-pop (an add-on for MDaemon) to see what I
>mean.
>
>Admittedly, I am no programmer, but wouldn't it be (relatively) easy to
>write a cgi (or perl or something) script sending appropriate commands
>to my pop3 server?

Why, when others have already done this for you. Some of these cgi web
based packages are free, some cost a few hundred ponies.

>This is another task with an unreasonable deadline, any ideas other
than
>buying a package which costs many US dollars? (our exchange rate sucks
>big lumpy bits)
>
>My only requirement is that we can stick with qmail - I have spent way
>too much sweat learning linux and qmail (simultaneously)  to want to
>dump either of them.

Dmailweb and a number of other of these packages just talk pop3, imap,
and smtp. They can be used with any mailserver.

>Also, are there any web-based remote administration packages out there?
>More specifically, I need to be able to provide privilidged users with
>the right to add users remotely.

That you will probably have to write yourself. There are lots of perl
examples for doing user admin via the web, but I wouldn't install any of
them without really understanding the code. Personally I do this user
admin stuff via the web using shell scripts. Perl is obviously better,
but I don't know it well enough yet. Also, my machines are dial-up only,
so security isn't as big an issue.