Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 15 January 2001 at 15:55:50 -0500
 > David Dyer-Bennet writes:
 >  >  > I'm not going to do it unless a majority of the authors of patches are
 >  >  > willing to repackage them as standalone programs.  So if there's a
 >  >  > firestorm of protest from those authors, I won't do it.
 >  >
 >  > I think this is a very bad idea.  My primary reason is that it's
 >  > easier to apply a patch against updated main code than it is to
 >  > integrate the changes from that updated main code into a standalone
 >  > program.
 >
 > If Dan was putting out daily versions of qmail, sure.  But we've had
 > qmail-1.03 for several years now.
 >
 >  > Also, some things are much better implemented as a change to
 >  > the existing programs, rather than as an additional layer of
 >  > programs.
 >
 > Try applying two patches to the same program.

Some days it works better than other days (well, actually it's not the
*day* that makes it different).  I've worked professionally in
software development for 30 years; sometimes you just have to slog
through things like that.

If I were dealing with the problem based on a separate derived
program, and a new release of the original, I'd end up approaching it
by using diff to essentially make patches of the differences.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/