> From:  "David Dyer-Bennet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:38:18 -0600 (CST)
>
> Felix von Leitner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 15 January 2001 at 22:17:41 +
> 0100
>  > Thus spake David Dyer-Bennet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>  > >  > Why?  Because a patch implies that something is wrong, and needs to
>  be
>  > >  > fixed.  However, when someone produces a "patch" for smtp-auth, tha
>  > >  > implies that qmail-smtpd has a problem that the patch fixes.  I'd
>  > >  > rather see people steal the necessary parts of Makefile, and Dan's
>  > >  > library code, and create a stand-alone "qmail-smtpd-auth" program.
>  > > A "patch" is also a recognized way to make an upgrade.
>  >
>  > The word "upgrade" also implies that there is something wrong or
>  > inferior with the original qmail.
>
> At some level we can't get around it; after all, the fact that we want
> to make some change to qmail suggests that the original code doesn't
> perfectly meet our needs.
>
> "Upgrade" suggests adding features, rather more than "patch" does;
> patches are often released to fix bugs.

How about "addition" or "extension"?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature