From: news [mailto:n...@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric Shubert
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:36 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] 555 error off squirrelmail

Glen Vickers wrote:

I'm guessing that your problem is in the mysqld area.

.) is mysqld running (# service mysqld status) ?

.) any errors in /var/log/mysqld.log ?

.) do you get any sort of authentication failure message in the smtp
log?
.) have you tried authenticating 'manually' in a telnet session?

Mysql is running, I have websites that use DB references and they are
all
working.

The log looks clean.  No error messages I see.

I am able to telnet.  It freaks out at this command

rcpt to [email address]

511 sorry, you must specify a domain (#5.1.1 - chkuser)

I have tried both internal and external address with the same message
from
telnet. When I check the log all I see is

@4000000049d63aed2c06ab04 CHKUSER accepted null sender: from <::>
remote
<mail.COMPANY.com:unknown:(IP ADDRESS)> rcpt <> : accepted null sender

always

Which shows up after a MAIL FROM command.
Glen

It's expecting "rcpt to: em...@address.com <mailto:em...@address.com>"

(not sure if you forgot the : or not).

http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/How_to_use_telnet_for_diagnostics
It sounds like your Squirrelmail config got messed up and it is not authenticating. Run the conf.pl file (or remove squirrelmail-toaster
and
then reinstall) to make sure that it's authenticating.
You yum probably busted because it wanted some files and was not able
get them since yum for FC6 went dead a couple years ago.

I think your right on my yum issue which presses the issue I need to upgrade soon. Also, on the telnet commands, your right. I fat fingered the commands yet still..

helo

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

helo (local domain)

250 (FQDN)  - Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3 SMTP Server

mail from: (local address)

250 ok

rcpt to: (outside address)

553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 -

chkuser)

rcpt to: (local  address)

250 ok

data

354 go ahead

subject: test

this is a test message

.

451 unable to exec qq (#4.3.0)

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

At this point, given the errors I'm getting and the need for an overhaul... I think I'll upgrade everything and reinstall. There's a whole 7 addresses on my server so it'd be easy to rebuild however
there
might be some data loss because a couple of the users don't use a mail

client.  They use the webmail only.

I don't see where you've entered any authentication in your telnet session. Given that you entered an outside address, failure is normal. Otherwise you'd be an open relay.

I think your decision to upgrade/migrate to CentOS is wise. If you use qtp-backup and qtp-restore, it should be rather painless. Just some down

time is all.