OK, so you're in luck in that your mail folders aren't available for "general" read/write access.

You can use the ACL capability to make the folders "append only" (chattr +a /path/to/folder) This will allow new messages to be added (new files created), but will disallow any files to be removed (deleted messages = deleted files). Now the BAD news is that I think this would also prevent IMAP from marking files as READ or SET FOR DELETION or any other change.
I would certainly be interested to see the results of some testing on this.

Dan