I looked into this at one point. But you can get a VPS at linode for $25/month capable of running a full qmailtoaster. Obviously not powerful enough for a million users, but I have over 1000 spread across 10 or so domains on it with no issues.

With AWS, if you get a dedicated IP address you just spent $25/month. Then there are message fees, data fees, compute usage, metrics, etc. etc. All the fees are small, but added up I found it to be more expensive than just running a toaster on linode. There are possibly other vendors too, I'm not doing an advertisement for linode, that's just who I wound up using.

Depending on the number of users and traffic, you might be able to get by with an even smaller VPS. I have one for DNS that is only $5/month, 1G ram, 1 CPU, 25G storage. Scale your machine up/down depending on your requirements.

Gary