Feels good to vent it out sometimes, huh? ;)  I have some sympathy with some of
your points, but I'll restrict myself to a couple of specifics.

On 07/10/2011, at 11:27 PM, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:

> But with the current requirement that even the QWidget based apps now
> need OpenGL support that means I cannot even run my apps in a virtual
> machine such as VirtualBox on a Mac in a decent way (and yes, I AM
> cross-developing a lot in VirtualBox, for both Windows and Linux)!

You are not alone with that combination! Actually, VirtualBox is just about
there for OpenGL. It claims to support OpenGL 2.1 now, which theoretically
should be sufficient for what Qt5 is aiming for. There's a small number of
omissions which have been reported in their bug tracker, so if someone wants to
push to have that bug addressed, you will probably have a viable VirtualBox
option for OpenGL by the time Qt5 comes out. The bug ticket can be found here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8275

> I know at this point it's already too late I guess, the QML-ification
> of Qt is already progressed to far. At least that had been my
> expectation half a year ago... and who knows, maybe I AM one of the
> very few people left trying to stick to the good old working
> technology, and desktop apps as we know them are dying out. Every
> application will bring along its own look and feel and usability
> concepts and that's what people want (or the developers at least)...
> then so be it!

Desktop apps won't be going away any time soon, and there are some rather big
commercial companies who would likely make some noise if Qt on desktop was
being neglected. Consider Autodesk - they rewrote their Maya package to use Qt
for their 2011 release. I can't see them switching to QML any time soon just
after expending all that effort, the cost in terms of time and additional
development would be hard to justify. Maya is also very heavily dependent on
OpenGL and being what it is, interactivity and overall performance are both
crucial to its success. Now consider that Maya is THE package for film special
effects in the movie industry (read: big $$$) and hopefully that will give you
some reassurance that you have some relatively heavy hitters who should be
sharing some of your concerns. ;)

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)