What is so stupid about it  all is  that---your power chair would not be stuck
there anyway....in the case of a fire you would move just as an able body would
 move out of the way OR to another part of the room or outside--they act like
the chair would freeze in that actual place.  LOL...          Dan H.

Quadius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  By the way, I am simply going to write a
letter or call as a concerned citizen.  After thinking about it carefully, I
really don't think this issue was about my disability, but I could be mistaken.
Quadius

  On 4/29/08, Quadius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:     I had something rather
interesting happen to me the other day. I went out to dinner with my brother
and the usher mistakenly put us in the wrong place. I was sitting in the aisle,
because my wheelchair cannot fit under any table. It has nothing to do with the
ADA, my armrests are simply too high and it's more beneficial for me to sit to
the side so someone can feed me. That's my own set of circumstances, so I don't
complain about things like that.
  Anyway, I made sure there was plenty of room to get by me or I would have
never sat there in the first place. The manager comes over after only about two
or three minutes and tells me I need to be moved. He was polite, so I simply
asked why this was necessary. He explained to me it was a fire hazard to have
me in the aisle. While I was moving, I tried to explain to him that some of the
modifications they had made recently made the restaurant a little tighter and
would probably be more of a fire hazard than he realized. I think he believed I
was being a little pissy, so I made sure I changed my tone. I initially thought
he got my message, but I discovered later he didn't.
  Just as I was about ready to finish my dinner, I noticed the waitress setting
up some of the tables so a large party could be accommodated. I told my
brother, "you know that's going to be a fire hazard when those individuals sit
there in the aisle." Well, that's what turned out to be. The waitresses had to
turn to the side in order to get by and no one saw anything wrong with this.
  On my way out I politely asked the manager to take a look down the aisle and
tell me if he saw anything wrong. He initially indicated he did not and when I
pointed out the problem he too shook his head in agreement. In a polite manner
I asked him, "what would happen if I contacted the fire marshal right now?" (In
case you're wondering why I asked this negative question, it's because when he
was explaining to me why I needed to move initially he told me at the fire
marshal was called or came in that they would be closed down for a week if I
was sitting in the aisle).
  His response, "they probably closes down there." "What are you going to do
about this situation?" I asked. He shrugged his shoulders in bewilderment. Then
I ask what can we do about this. His suggestion was for me to call corporate
headquarters. I intend on doing this, but for some reason I keep forgetting to
lay out the contact information.
  Don't get me wrong the guy was very polite and they accommodated me, but the
blatant institutional discrimination gets on my nerves. This problem truly is
not about being disabled though. It's more about making sure restaurants comply
with the safety restrictions and not simply choose to ignore the ones which are
most profitable to them. I'm sure if I would have had six or seven guests, they
would have let me sit anywhere I wanted.
  I know, it sounds pissy, but the manager thanked me for not blaming him. I
guess some other people have gone off on him about an accessible bathrooms, as
if it's his personal fault. He's only a 20 something-year-old young man. He can
bring it up with corporate, but if they don't do anything, I guess it's up to
someone else to take charge.
  Sorry if this is a rambling mess, but it is simply dictated it rather quickly.
  Quadius