I tried disconnecting the scsi cable from the motherboard, but still got
the same blank gray screen with the cursor up in the corner. No flashing
question mark, I'm sad to say. I really thought this may have been the
problem since this began when I tried installing a 9 gig Barracuda. At
this point, unless there's something else I can try, then I just have to
conclude the motherboard has given up the ghost.
Thank you to everyone who helped out. I just wish this story had a
happier ending.

Nancy