> From: "zhmmy harper"
> Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV????
> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:18:49 -0600
> Nancy,
> Two things to try.
>
> 1. Drives usually require a teeny "jumper" on the back to be plugged in in a
> particular way.  Check with the mfr for proper configuration.

I downloaded the manual for the 4.5 gig narrow Barracuda in PDF form and
printed it out. Using that as a jumper guide, I configured it as the
"master" since I'd intended to use it as my start-up disk. I also tried
using different jumper configurations since I thought it might be
possible there was a mistake in the manual info. (This actually happened
to me once with a Maxtor drive.) I tried the Barracuda out with my
Quadra 700, and I was able to ininitialize it with little problem, so it
IS good. I also tried installing a 9 gig narrow Cheetah I have that I
know is good.
Since all this trouble began, I have switched back to the original
Quantum 1.2 gig drive that worked very well when I first tested the
machine. I have been sticking with the original drive since I've been
having trouble, since I think it's my best bet.

2.  After that is correct, start up your machine using your OS CD and
holding down "C" on the keyboard.  Use the Drive Setup utility on the CD
initialize the Barracuda.  It will be wiped clean and then while you
are
still on the CD you can install your OS.  It should work then.

I bought a set of original Quadra 840AV disks on eBay (floppy and CD),
and have been unable to start the machine from either the floppy or the
CD. I just can't seem to get beyond the blank gray screen with the
cursor.

>Unless it really is the motherboard, which I doubt.

I hope you're right. I just hope there's something I've been
overlooking.

Nancy