Water in the foot wells is usually a sign the heater matrix has split.  It can be a pain to do, but not too bad in the the 2+2 compared to the Xtreme.  Before changing the matrix I would check that the foot wells are getting damp from coolant.

The plastic clips on the bottom cover that need to be released before you can get to the matrix will snap - Ford found this out and have metal clips that will hold the lower cover in place. A quick Google search hasn't provided a part number, but I do have some in the garage, complete with Ford packet, so I should be able to find this, if required.

Check all hoses are still tight as it may not be the matrix and simply a slightly loose hose.

Regards,
Steve