On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 02:19:35PM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-10-13 13:22, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 11:30:39AM -0700, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> >> If we want to allow authors to retain control (on GitHub) of their
> >> own software (and not any other contributor's software), then it seems
> >> like the only option is to allow each author to host their own
> >> software under their own account (or an account they control).
> >
> >> What if we just fork those repos (either into the official QubesOS
> >> account or into a separate one created for this purpose), then
> >> update the forks based on changes to the author-owned original
> >> repos (only accepting author-signed commits and/or tags, of course,
> >> and perhaps after a review process)? Isn't that essentially what
> >> we're already doing with i3[1], awesome[2], and yubikey[3]?
> >> (Awesome yubikey are forked from repos owned by woju
> >> and you, so maybe those don't really count.)
> >
> > Yes, this is the other option. The question here is: where should those
> > forks be (current github org or a new one) and how should be named
> > (original name, or some forced naming scheme like qubes-app-*)?
> >
> I think it's fine to choose option 4 here, in line with your preference.
> Since it would be a dedicated GitHub organization, we could simply
> preserve the upstream names. Or, if there are organizational benefits
> to prefixing (e.g., to sort them into groups or categories), then
> adopt some prefixing scheme. It probably wouldn't be beneficial to
> prefix them all the same way (e.g., qubes-app-*). (Maybe the GitHub
> organization itself should be called Qubes-apps or QubesOS-apps?)

Just a thought: can't we invite those original authors to this new
organisation? They could upload the code directly, but we'd still have to tag
the code for builder to verify. They'll have a nice logo on their GitHub
profile as a token of recognition.

- --
pozdrawiam / best regards       _.-._
Wojtek Porczyk               .-^'   '^-.
Invisible Things Lab         |'-.-^-.-'|
 I do not fear computers,    |  '-.-'  |
 I fear lack of them.        '-._ :  ,-'
    -- Isaac Asimov             `^-^-_>
Version: GnuPG v2