On 11/02/2016 07:28 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> I have no idea how such software works... Especially at which stage
> calibration is applied.

The gonme frontend will apply the resulted profile at the end - if
started from the gnome-control-center.
It will gonna fail - as it is not even see any calibration aware device.
(but this is maybe because of the missing colord)

The other GUI (displaycal) is just create a profile, and the user has a
choice to use (apply) it from a CLI, or whatever.

> Is it something that application does
> "internally", or adjust display driver options?

Apps can use the (colord provided) profiles in our own. In the same time
it can be apply X server wise by modifying the graphics driver output
via LUT curvers.

of course that means that the later have to be done in the GUI domain -
which is currently dom0

For the best results we would need both. But in case of Qubes that would
means:
- apply the profile globally in dom0 (or GUI domain)
- provide (the same) profile in VMs via colord

The current issue is to create a profile without attaching the
calibration device to dom0.
Even the profile creating is tricky because those calibration software
may try to apply the result but at lest needs to create an app window
which is:
- always on top
- always in focus
- shown on all desktop
- prevents screen blank/lock

Those thing should be only be able to achieve by dom0 (GUI domain)
The real strange thing that it was able to pup a window with most of the
features above - but then crashed. The last error message was the result
of that crash.

The calibration itself ir really simple that window will switch colors,
and the calibrating device (placed over that window) measuring the
actual shown colors, and the "difference" goes to the resulting profile
to get correct colors when applied.

You can read a more detailed (and probably more accurate) writing about
this here:
https://displaycal.net/#concept

>> running the same calibration software directly complains about there is
>> no colord available (masked)
>
> Try unmasking colord (systemctl unmask should do).

I assumed that colord is masked for a reason by Qubes devs.
Because in a default feadora colord is up and running by default.

Will try to unmask it - but not hoping too much.

As I writing this I see no real chance to make it work without plugging
the calibration device to dom0. - but let me know if you have any idea.

--
Zrubi