13. Nov 2016 08:48 by amad...@riseup.net:

> We see much correspondence in these forums about installing a VPN within
> Qubes. Surely, the most secure place for VPN is to install on a Router?
> I say these things after reading the following paper [ >
> https://cryptome.org/2013/12/Full-Disclosure.pdf>  ] in which a group of
> hackers demonstrate that the majority of routers (in-particular those
> provided by ISP's] have backdoors to government agencies. These adversary's
> are able attack our LAN and its devices; including the ability to intercept
> VPN and Tor traffic.
> The solution they say is to isolate these rogue routers in the Militarized
> Zone by creating a DMZ [demilitarized zone]. Achieved by installing a 2nd
> router [flashed with open source firmware such as OPenWRT]. It is here, on
> the router, that we should enable and run OpenVPN.
> Thoughts on this paper and it's conclusions are welcomed

An always-on VPN connection on the router works well but can be a bit slow
since the processing power of router CPUs is generally quite limited. If
choosing a router, I'd suggest a dual-core ARM-based device. Although openvpn
is only single-threaded you can usually configure cpu-affinity to place it on
one core and the other routing tasks on the other core.

For those who want to go beyond around 20-25 Mb/s, which is where an ARM router
will start to reach its limits, a fine alternative is a small fanless PC, such
as the Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix, and run an open source firewall on it,
instead of a router. I'm using IPFire. If the processor supports AES-NI, the
limiting factor will be your network speed, not the firewall's CPU.

Finally, I've always felt that running a vpn on Qubes and having an always-on
vpn running on a router/PC complement each other.