On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> [...]
> commercial
> clients will mean that we have less time to work on features that benefit
> the
> wider, security-minded open source community, which has been our focus for
> the
> past seven years.  This deeply saddens us. (We all use Qubes on our
> personal
> computers too!) However, the reality is that ITL can't afford to sustain
> the
> open source development of Qubes for much longer. We're running out of
> time.
>
> In an attempt to keep the open source development of Qubes going, we've
> teamed
> up with Open Collective [07], which makes it easier to donate to the Qubes
> project.  Now, in addition to our Bitcoin fund [08], we can also accept
> donations via credit card. ITL will not benefit from of any of the money
> donated
> through Open Collective. Instead, the funds will be paid directly to
> individual
> developers who have been hired to work on the open source edition of Qubes.
> With the help of our community, we hope eventually to build a nonprofit
> organization that will ensure the long-term future of Qubes as an open
> source
> operating system that is freely available to all -- one of the few
> operating
> systems that places the security of its users above all else.
>
> If you are a user of Qubes and want to help us continue working on it,
> please
> donate now [07].  Those who have contributed will be publicly recognized
> on our
> Open Collective [07] page (if they so choose).  Organizations that support
> the
> Qubes project will be publicly recognized on our Partners page [09]
> (again, if they so choose).  If you are interested in supporting Qubes with
> significant resources, whether as an individual or on behalf of an
> organization,
> we ask that you please contact us directly [10], since donating through
> Open Collective entails significant administrative overhead.
>
> Thank you for your continued support. Together, we can ensure that Qubes is
> around to secure our digital lives for many years to come.
>
>     --The Qubes team
>

> [01] https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2010/04/07/introducing-qubes-os.html
> [02] https://invisiblethingslab.com
> [03] https://www.opentech.fund/
> [04] https://www.opentech.fund/project/qubes-os
> [05] https://www.qubes-os.org/counter/
> [06] https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2015/12/14/mgmt-stack/
> [07] https://opencollective.com/qubes-os
> [08] https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2016/07/13/qubes-distributed-fund/
> [09] https://www.qubes-os.org/partners/
> [10] <busin...@qubes-os.org>
>
> You can also view this announcement on the Web at:

The people able to donate enough to maintain this project are hardly on
this mailing list. They are elsewhere and probably do no even know that
Qubes exists at all. But they have the money and want to use this money for
some good purpose before they die.

It is worth looking for them. But this is professional work. It is
something difficult to do in an amateurish way. Professional work need to
be paid. So it is an investment hoping to get a result.  But it may be
worth for some reasons:

1. Once you get a commitment it may work long term and this is obviously
interesting.

2. Our quest for security is something easy to understand and sell,
particularly to rich old people. Anyone seeing a video of a Joanna's
conference would be impressed even if unable to understand technical
details.

3. You already got a financing from Open Technology Fund and this is an
authoritative card confirming that somebody obviously very expert endorses
you.

4. You probably have many other distinguished  endorsements that confirm
that your efforts are worth substantial help

5. The problem of hackers and governments stealing data is so obvious and
well known that everybody already understands it with no need to convince.

To have an idea of a possible professional partner to get this done, or
simply to understand better what it means, please look at this google
search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=donation+marketing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

good luck
Fran