On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 09:40:58PM +0200, Ilpo Järvinen wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>
> > Commercial editions of Qubes OS will be customized to meet special corporate
> > requirements. For example, two features that might be particularly
> > attractive to corporate customers are (1) "locking down" dom0 in order
> > to separate the user and administrator roles
>
> I suppose this implies there is unlikely to be support for multi-user
> environment for a shared computer any time soon except for commercial
> users (e.g., within a family with one of the user effectively having
> a sort of "administator role" and the other users would have less
> priviledges)?

That's right. We (as core Qubes OS team) don't plan to work on this
anytime soon in open source version.

> If yes, are the core devs/maintainers going to actively oppose
> inclusion of feature(s) which would make the multi-user case
> easier/feasible if it is provided by somebody from community?
> I suppose it could be seen overlapping functionality and
> therefore rejected on technical grounds (or it might be even
> thought to deincentivize from getting the commercial version).
>
> I understand the economical realities, so please don't take this
> as complaining of any sort, I'm just asking what is the expected
> position here.

I think both use cases still differ significantly. One is mostly about
protecting system configuration (maybe with addition of remote
attestation, or sth like this?), the other one is about protecting data
of other user(s). Some technical means may be the same, but I think not
all. And I think it's ok to accept contributions about one use case,
even if somehow overlap with the other. Of course if done properly.

Also note that the above mentioned examples are just examples. Actual
features will depend on customers needs.

But to answer more generic question: we can't stop anyone from
implementing the same features as in commercial version, and announcing
it anywhere. This is how open source works (which is great that we have
this freedom!). But we'd like to ask the community to not compromise the
business model - as explained above I think the use cases are different
and this shouldn't conflict with the goals of Qubes OS as the open
source project.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki