Getting rid of seamless mode: HVM is one approach, loopback VNC or Xvfb is
another one.

On pausing VMs: Actually, even if you just suspend and resume the whole system,
all VMs get unpaused.

Xen actually has some restore capability, at least for PVs and maybe also for
HVMs. This one is actually used in today's DVM implementation (as of 3.2), but
it will AFAIK be handled differently in Qubes 4. The problem is it is hard to
make it working properly with template-based VMs without additional
restrictions and without counterintuitive impact on performance (like
hibernated VMs affecting TemplateVM performance). See
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/832#issuecomment-289100070 .

So, if you want hibernation, you can use a standalone VM. Such VM can handle
everything on its own without involving Qubes (provided that the OS supports
hibernation). I am not sure if hibernation will work well with standalone PV,
but with standalone HVM, I see no reason why it should not work.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'