On 05/21/2017 02:22 AM, Vít Šesták wrote:
> Getting rid of seamless mode: HVM is one approach, loopback VNC or Xvfb is
> another one.
>
> On pausing VMs: Actually, even if you just suspend and resume the whole
> system, all VMs get unpaused.
>
> Xen actually has some restore capability, at least for PVs and maybe also for
> HVMs. This one is actually used in today's DVM implementation (as of 3.2),
> but it will AFAIK be handled differently in Qubes 4. The problem is it is
> hard to make it working properly with template-based VMs without additional
> restrictions and without counterintuitive impact on performance (like
> hibernated VMs affecting TemplateVM performance). See
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/832#issuecomment-289100070 .
>
> So, if you want hibernation, you can use a standalone VM. Such VM can handle
> everything on its own without involving Qubes (provided that the OS supports
> hibernation). I am not sure if hibernation will work well with standalone PV,
> but with standalone HVM, I see no reason why it should not work.
>
> Regards,
> Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

I'm curious:  Would hibernation work correctly if the VM were paused
first? I don't use suspend or hibernation myself, so I don't know the
answer to that.

Of course, in the current Qubes kernel configuration, Hibernation
support isn't even enabled in the kernel, so I suppose it's currently a
moot point.