On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 6:04:08 PM UTC-8, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea what the difference livecd-iso-to-disk make,
> compared to isohybrid? If possible, we'd like to installation iso work
> out of the box on UEFI systems, including new ones...
>
> I wonder if Fedora netinst iso (_not_ Live iso) boot on such new
> hardware, after directly dd-ing it to USB stick. Can you check that?
> Just see if installer starts. It's here:
>
>     https://alt.fedoraproject.org/
>
> If that would work, I can try to find what is different about those
> images and fix Qubes iso.

Hi Marek,

I just tried the Fedora netinst image, dd'd it onto an USB stick, and it
successfully booted.

One minor observation i made i the process: the Qubes ISO9660 volume label
includes a dot/period; the netinst image doesn't.

This triggered a deja-vu from understanding why we need to update the volume
label and edit xen.cfg after using livecd-iso-to-disk: this approach creates a
FAT32 to hold everything, but the xen.cfg file uses the Qubes volume label
"Qubes-R4.0-rc3-x86_64" to identify where to load inst.stage2 from, and FAT32
volumes can't have labels that are this long and they also have trouble with
periods in the label. Sure, FAT32 isn't ISO9660, but ISO9660 is also a bit
troubled with a few different interpretations of the standard and restrictions.

Also, a Qubes dd'd USB stick contains an ISO9660 partition and a FAT16
partition with a stub; I could validate that my T470 boots directly from
ISO9660, ignoring the FAT16 partition.

Speaking of which... I found a way to make a USB install stick, much easier
than using livecd-iso-to-disk tools:
- create a FAT32 partition (not too big) on the USB stick
- mark the partition as active (if MBR; not needed if GPT)
- mount the ISO image
- mirror the file system structure from the mounted ISO image to the FAT32
volume
- give the FAT32 volume a meaningful label (not to exceed 11 chars)
- update EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg on the FAT32 volume to match that label

You can even do that on Windows without needing Rufus :) I'll update the doc
one more time to include instructions for Windows users. Maybe even remove the
livecd-iso-to-disk instructions again, I'm not sure.
-joe