Hi,

I would try my path, download rEFInd to another usb-stick and boot the
installer from there.

The only file you need is the EFI-file:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

Also, that is an interesting data point as well, the bootx64.efi loader on
the usb install works if it is started through rEFInd.

Cheers
Josef