On 01/11/2018 01:16 PM, Unman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 09:18:46AM +0000, 'Tom Zander' via qubes-users wrote:

>>> That's not exactly right. Please see:
>> ..
>>>
>>> In other words, do not just add notices in the text about exceptions.
>>> Instead, make clearly-labeled sections for 3.x and 4.x so that users
>>> can easily find the right information no matter which version of Qubes
>>> they're using.

>> Ok, I am having problem seeing your solution and my explanation of it as any
>> different, in practice.
>> Maybe I'm missing the obvious, I'm just not seeing it.
>>
>> In this specific case of the VPN page. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
>> * in v.4 there is no "NetVM".
>> * There is no "ProxyVM"
>> * The create qubes screenshot is considerably different.
>> * adding 'meminfo-writer' and 'network-manager' are not needed (AFAIK).
>> * does not use iptables anymore.
>>
>> Ok, going to stop now.  I got to half the page and some 80% of the text and
>> screenshots are wrong for v4.
>>
>> How would you solve that in line with the QubesOS policy?
>
> The difference is between this style:
>
> You can attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block :
> qvm-block -A <target> [qube:]<file>
> (This syntax is not available in 4.0)
>
> and this:
> 3.0
> You can attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block :
> qvm-block -A <target> [qube:]<file>
>
> 4.0
> You cannot attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block.
>

> The advantage of using labelled sections is that it should be easier
> for users to find the material relevant to the version they are using.
> Also, that once 3.0 is retired, it will be simple to remove the 3.0
> relevant material, rather than filleting our bits from each page.
>
> On the VPN case your own comment confirms that it would be better to
> provide a separate section, rather than trying to put "exceptions" in to
> the existing text.

At least no section repetition for the scripts should be necessary. But
doing this for the dialogs still adds a lot to an already long doc.

I feel that, apart from making some docs look deceptively long and less
readable, the most significant downside to melding 3.x/4.x instructions
together would be to discourage contributions from users. It makes the
thought of every potential edit seem like a slog through extra markdown,
and many will think "I don't have time to install 3.2 to write up that
version".

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket