On 2018-01-11 14:41, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 01/11/2018 01:16 PM, Unman wrote:

>>> ..

>>> Ok, I am having problem seeing your solution and my explanation of it as
>>> any
>>> different, in practice.
>>> Maybe I'm missing the obvious, I'm just not seeing it.
>>>
>>> In this specific case of the VPN page. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/
>>> * in v.4 there is no "NetVM".
>>> * There is no "ProxyVM"
>>> * The create qubes screenshot is considerably different.
>>> * adding 'meminfo-writer' and 'network-manager' are not needed (AFAIK).
>>> * does not use iptables anymore.
>>>
>>> Ok, going to stop now.  I got to half the page and some 80% of the text and
>>> screenshots are wrong for v4.
>>>
>>> How would you solve that in line with the QubesOS policy?
>>
>> The difference is between this style:
>>
>> You can attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block :
>> qvm-block -A <target> [qube:]<file>
>> (This syntax is not available in 4.0)
>>
>> and this:
>> 3.0
>> You can attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block :
>> qvm-block -A <target> [qube:]<file>
>>
>> 4.0
>> You cannot attach a disk image to a qube using qvm-block.
>>

>> The advantage of using labelled sections is that it should be easier
>> for users to find the material relevant to the version they are using.
>> Also, that once 3.0 is retired, it will be simple to remove the 3.0
>> relevant material, rather than filleting our bits from each page.
>>
>> On the VPN case your own comment confirms that it would be better to
>> provide a separate section, rather than trying to put "exceptions" in to
>> the existing text.
>>

> At least no section repetition for the scripts should be necessary. But
> doing this for the dialogs still adds a lot to an already long doc.

Is it bad for a doc to be long when it's immediately obvious which
half you can ignore because it's not the version you're using?

> I feel that, apart from making some docs look deceptively long and less
> readable, the most significant downside to melding 3.x/4.x instructions
> together would be to discourage contributions from users. It makes the
> thought of every potential edit seem like a slog through extra markdown,
> and many will think "I don't have time to install 3.2 to write up that
> version".

I don't understand. Why would this be the case? If you want to make a
small edit that pertains only to 4.0, you can simply make that small
edit in the 4.0 section, or add such a section if one doesn't yet
exist, which would only be a few extra characters. A 4.0 user who
wants to add some true fact about 4.0 to the docs doesn't even have to
think about 3.2, much less install it.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS