On Thursday, 11 January 2018 18:16:04 GMT Unman wrote:
> On the VPN case your own comment confirms that it would be better to
> provide a separate section, rather than trying to put "exceptions" in to
> the existing text.

Thank you for explaining that unman, much clearer indeed.

While I agree on the general statement above, I feel its not the best
solution in this case where 4.0 have massive changes in all layers of the
technology.
In many cases the about half of the text will be duplicated between the 3.2
and the 4.x sections, albeit with major changes.
This will not help the reader much.
More importantly, I fear that the new users (potential contributors) that
have not used 3.2 will have a hard time deciding what to do with information
that clearly doesn't represent the current state of technology.

Asking people to put a lot of effort into reformatting documentation that
may or may not actually be useful to anyone using an older version is a big
ask in a volunteer project.

I personally prefer the solution where a git repo is cloned for 3.2 as
"legacy" which is then attached to the website under a subdirectory and
people can edit that for maintainance and fixes.
  http://qubes-os.org/doc/3/
or somesuch.

The majority of changes would then be in the 'master' branch which people
can edit and they can add references to the github issues concerning known
bugs. We can mark known issues with the pages like the VPN one I described
and people reading the docs will actually be aware of pitt-falls.

In my opinion there is only one thing worse than no documentation, it is
official looking documentation that is wrong.

> Also, that once 3.0 is retired, it will be simple to remove the 3.0
> relevant material, rather than filleting our bits from each page.

This would be even better, if qubes ever wants to they can just remove the
subrepository.

What do others think?
--
Tom Zander