When Qubes gets a separate GUIVM, the risks of GUI virtualization could become
lower, because the GUIVM is expected to be more up-to-date (and thus have
recent security updates for the drivers) than the current dom0.

The GUI virtualization should be optional (so user can choose the reasonable
tradeoff). This can be actually good for security provided that the choice is
informed. User that wants some GPU-insentive tasks will now probably choose
Ubuntu (or dualboot) over Qubes. None of them are better choices than allowing
to take some risks for some VMs.

Before GUIVM is implemented, it probably does not make much sense to implement
GPU virtualization, because it would make additional maintenance effort for ITL.

GPU passthrough (that can be also used with some less secure approach of GPU
virtualization) might be a reasonable addition for some people, but not as a
general solution for all Qubes users, because external monitors often connected
to the dedicated GPU*. Not mentioning laptops with just one GPU. (Those can be
more common for Linux and Qubes users.)

I foresee a GPUVM in VM settings (like today's NetVM in VM settings).

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

*) I honestly don't know the reason for that. In the past, I had laptop with
three graphical outputs (screen, VGA and HDMI). Since the old integrated GPU
was able only two of them, it makes sense that one of the outputs goes through
the dedicated cards. The last time I checked, it however looks like this should
be no longer a problem. Today's Intel CPUs seem to often support three displays
(quickly verified on Intel ARK on few random CPUs), while today's laptops tend
to have just two outputs (internal and HDMI).