On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-5, schnuren...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 10:51:12 PM UTC+1, QUBE-A-LICIOUS wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have a fresh install of Qubes 4r4.  However, when I reboot and or login I
> > have to manually change dom0 time to UTC.
> >
> > Impact: Whonix/Tor does not work because of the incorrect time.
> >
> > Manual workaround:
> > 1.  Get the correct UTC from a browser.
> > 2.  Open Dom0 Terminal and update to UTC such as the following:
> >
> >       sudo date --set "2018-02-13 21:30"
> >
> > 3. Shutdown Service:sys-whonix
> > 4.  Restart a whonix domain such as Domain:anon-whonix(this restarts the
> > sys-whonix service that was just shutdown.
> > 5.  Then run WhonixCheck to make sure it works.  It usually does and
> > Whonix/Tor is functional.
> >
> > =================
> > Qubes cannot be this bad, really.
> >
> > How can I have this Date and time correctly updated on boot up?  Like it
> > should.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help.
> > NSJ
>
> Most times it is easy to point on another guilty one instead looking what may
> happen with the own stuff. So far you are the only one with this misbehavior.
> Qubes works as expected - at least in this point.
> But most user already experienced this behavior; qubes-os or any other
> distribution.
> The keyword is hwclock. You always update the software-based time, but if you
> restart, all temporary data is gone. (should)
> So your OS fetches at boot the time from the bios.
> If you update your time within the qubes-os, you should update your hardware
> clock (hc) as well: sudo hwclock --systohc
> If your time resets when you unplug your device from power supply, your
> device's battery is flat.

----------------------------------
I did some analysis this morning.  So at the same point in time the following
settings on my Qubes laptop showed the following values.  (Bottom line is that
whonix/tor does not work)

1.  The hardware BIOS clock is:  1030  (BIOS battery good, removed laptop
battery for few hours and date/time stayed same)

2.  Dom0 time is: 0530 ( via date command)

3.  service:sys-whonix is:  1030 (via date command)

4.  Clock on upper right of screen is:  0430

Tor Boostrap info is:

Whonixcheck gave up waiting
clock skew -21635 in directory from DIRSERV

sudo date --set “2018 -02-18 17:30:00”