On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 4:08:36 AM UTC-6, schnuren...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 5:52:34 PM UTC+1, QUBE-A-LICIOUS wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-5, schnuren...@gmail.com
> > wrote:

> > > Most times it is easy to point on another guilty one instead looking what
> > > may happen with the own stuff. So far you are the only one with this
> > > misbehavior.
> > > Qubes works as expected - at least in this point.
> > > But most user already experienced this behavior; qubes-os or any other
> > > distribution.
> > > The keyword is hwclock. You always update the software-based time, but if
> > > you restart, all temporary data is gone. (should)
> > > So your OS fetches at boot the time from the bios.
> > > If you update your time within the qubes-os, you should update your
> > > hardware clock (hc) as well: sudo hwclock --systohc
> > > If your time resets when you unplug your device from power supply, your
> > > device's battery is flat.
> >
> > ----------------------------------
> > I did some analysis this morning.  So at the same point in time the
> > following settings on my Qubes laptop showed the following values.  (Bottom
> > line is that whonix/tor does not work)
> >
> > 1.  The hardware BIOS clock is:  1030  (BIOS battery good, removed laptop
> > battery for few hours and date/time stayed same)
> >
> > 2.  Dom0 time is: 0530 ( via date command)
> >
> > 3.  service:sys-whonix is:  1030 (via date command)
> >
> > 4.  Clock on upper right of screen is:  0430
> >
> > Tor Boostrap info is:
> >
> > Whonixcheck gave up waiting
> > clock skew -21635 in directory from DIRSERV
> >
> > sudo date --set “2018 -02-18 17:30:00”
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > I think that on a normal bootup the clocks should be in sync and Whonix/Tor
> > should work.
>
> bios time differs a lot from dom0 and dom0 time seems in the UTC (timezone),
> while the clock on your desktop should be therefore in the -1 hour timezone.
> There is already something wrong, isn't it?
> Could you please set the correct time in dom0 and do a 'sudo hwclock
> --systohw' to get dom0's sys date and bios time in sync.
> And reboot pls. After reboot check the time in bios, dom0 and your clockVM
> (probably sys-net) before connecting to any network.
> In System Tools -> Qubes Global Settings in dom0 you can check the name of
> the clock VM.
> The time of your whonix should, as far as I know, differs in timezone as
> qubes built-in rule randomly each bootup of the VM. (Do not know for sure)
>
> I either do not know whether sys-whonix only changes the timezone and if it
> is an attack surface if someone from the outside could simulate/fake specific
> minutes and seconds your network-time-daemon adapt and your whonix could be
> associated to your isp.
>
> Even there seems to be some misconfiguration I never got, the behavior
> remembers me to an empty hardware battery.

==============
1.  I changed to the correct Time Zone from the command line.  Fixed the -1
hour offset.
2.  I updated the dom0 time
3.  I ran the sudo hwclock -w to set the hardware clock from the current system
time.
4.  I rebooted the laptop.

The current results are:

1.  BIOS clock is:  1530  (via BIOS menu on startup)

2.  Dom0 time is: 0930 with correct time zone.  (Correct!)

3.  service:sys-whonix is:  1530 UTC

4.  Clock on upper right of screen is:  0930 (Correct!)

5.  sys-net is 0930.  (Correct!)

6.  Tor Boostrap info is:  (from sys-whonix occurs right after startup)

ERROR systemd clock check result:
Unexpected results by timedatectl
local time:  15:30:00
universal time: 15:30:00

However….
7.  Tor browser works!!!

I think that I am close, this error should not be coming up.  Any ideas?